If a match is left laying around, a mouse might come and chew on the match and make the match go off. If the match goes off, it will hurt the mouse and it could make a big fire. So, don't ever leave matches laying around. If you see younger children playing with matches, take the matches and give them to an adult. If you see older children playing with matches, tell an adult. Matches are very dangerous. They can start big forest fires and house fires.
If you find matches give them to an adult!
Fireworks are very dangerous and can start a big fire. Always leave fireworks to professionals. When you are watching fireworks, be sure to stay at least 500 feet away. Many people (mostly children) are hurt by fireworks. You should never play with fireworks because they could go off in your hand. You would get burned very badly if they did. If you find fireworks, don't pick them up; tell an adult as fast as you can.
It is very dangerous to smoke in bed because if you fall asleep then your cigarette could fall on the covers and cause a fire to start. If your parents or anyone else you know smokes in bed, you should tell them that it could cause a fire. It is a very dangerous thing to do. Also, don't ever play around a gas can or gas station that someone is smoking by. Smoking by a gas station is very dangerous and could cause a huge fire.
Before you build a fire while camping, you need to make sure that it is legal to have a fire, and you need to make sure that there are no dried up sticks laying around the place where you are going to build your fire. You should always build a fire in a fire pit so that it is harder for the fire to get out of your control. Before you leave your camp, you need to make sure that your fire is all the way out. Never leave a fire burning when you are not watching it.
Sometimes you might have an electric fire in your house. If you have an electric cord that is damaged, it could cause an electric fire. You must not use water on an electric fire because it could electrocute you. If you find an electric cord in your house that is damaged, tell your parents about it and ask them to replace it. If it is not replaced, then it could cause an electric fire.
So, whatever you do, don't put water on an electric fire, don't play with matches, don't smoke in bed, don't leave your camp while your fire is still burning, and don't leave matches laying around!
Graphic of Smokey and cubs from the US Forest Service.
Fireworks animation from Best Animations.